A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO SHATAVARI CHURNA: KNOW HOW DOES IT HELP WITH HEIGHT GROWTH HERE
Ayurveda and ayurvedic medicine have a holistic approach when it comes to the treatment of ailments and medical conditions. It is a well-renowned alternative medicinal practice preferred by millions of people all over the world for the solutions to their problems. These problems are not only physical. Ayurveda addresses mental and psychological problems as well.
The maximum height that a person can attain in his lifetime is determined based on the genetic makeup of the person and also the type of nutrition he gets in his growing years. According to reports, consuming a healthy diet rich in carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and other essential nutrients help a person to achieve the maximum height he is supposed to reach.
Shatavari churna or Shatavari powder is obtained from an ayurvedic medicinal plant or herb named Shatavari. It is endowed with properties that nourish and vitalize the body and thereby assist growth in height. That being said, the benefits of Shatavari are not limited to height growth only.
EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SHATAVARI CHURNA
Shatavari is also popularly known by other names like Asparagus, wild asparagus, asparagus root, Satavar, Shatamull, Majjige Gadde, Sadavare, Nunggarei, Vari, Pali, Chhotta Kelu, Shakakul, Shaqaqul, and Shatawari among others. Its botanical name is Asparagus Racemosus from the family Liliaceae. This species of asparagus is very commonly found throughout all parts of India, the Himalayas, and also the northern region of Australia. The plants usually grow up to 2 or 3 meters in height. They grow in rocky soils at an elevated plain of about 1500 meters above sea level. Due to rapid deforestation throughout the world, the medicinal Shatavari plant has entered the ‘endangered’ category.
Shatavari plants are climbers with roots as long as 4 meters. It has thorns as photosynthetic branches and the stem is also covered with thorns that are uniform and green. White flowers and berry-like fruits are grown on this plant.
It has an adventitious root system with tuberous roots that are tapered at the end. There are more than a hundred such tubers for each Shatavari plant. In ayurvedic medicinal practice, these tuberous roots are dried and the extracts are used to formulate different medicines. These dried roots are also sometimes powdered and sold as a potent ayurvedic medicine capable of curing a wide range of diseases.
WHAT ARE THE USES OF SHATAVARI POWDER OR SHATAVARI CHURNA?
Shatavari powder or Shatavari Churna is endowed with a lot of therapeutic properties that make it the ‘Queen of all herbs’. Shatavari churna’s first mentions were found in the Rig Veda and the Atharva Veda. It has the potential to cure hundreds of diseases from the head to toe. The brilliant properties and Shatavari uses are listed below:
- Shatavari churna has anti-inflammatory properties. It means that Shatavari can reduce inflammation or swell at different locations of the body. An Inflammation-associated disease where Shatavari is exceptionally beneficial is edema.
- It also acts as a strong antioxidant. Shatavari benefits include prevention or protection against cell damage by preventing the production of free radicals in the body through oxidation.
- Shatavari Chura can help in alleviating chronic cases of anxiety and stress to a great extent by balancing the hormone levels in the body.
- It is also a good anti-tubercular. This means that it is effective in the treatment of infections related to Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- This potent ayurvedic medicinal extract helps to alleviate the symptoms of epilepsy and other such neurological diseases.
- Shatavari Churna can help in strengthening the body by boosting its immunity. It is often consumed along with Ashwagandha for building strong muscles.
- It invigorates and energizes the body by stimulating the secretion of growth hormones inside the body. This directly aids in the growth of height.
- Gastrointestinal ailments like diarrhea, constipation, and even irritable bowel syndrome or IBS can be treated with Shatavari Churna
- Shatavari Churna can help in treating conditions associated with the respiratory system. It acts as an anti-congestant helps in treating cough
- Consumption of Shatavari Churna can help in healing ulcers inside the body like in the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, among others. It cancels out the effects of the hydrochloric acid formed inside the stomach.
- Shatavari Churna is also helpful in the treatment of kidney stones. It is greatly effective in the prevention of the formation of oxalate stones
- Patients suffering from diabetes mellitus or high blood sugar might consume Shatavari Churna on the advice of the doctor. It helps in effectively keeping blood sugar levels under control.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CONSUMING SHATAVARI CHURNA?
Apart from the general uses, the benefits of Shatavari churna are immense. The main benefit is seen in the use of Shatavari for women. It is sometimes even referred to as a woman’s best friend as it plays a very important role in a woman’s physiological health. It is indeed a very powerful tonic for female use. Some of the most noteworthy benefits of Shatavari Churna are as mentioned below:
- Shatavari Churna is a very popular ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of the symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome like depression, mood swings, insomnia, loss of appetite among others. It helps in strengthening the female reproductive system and thereby resolves infertility-related problems. It is also beneficial in the treatment of other sexual illnesses in women like a lack of sexual desire, experiencing pain during sexual intercourse, etc.
- Consumption of Shatavari powder is proven to be exceptionally useful in the case of lactating women facing issues with the production of milk. Shatavari Churna improves the production of breast milk in new mothers.
- Shatavari Churna is very effective in preventing problems related to the gastrointestinal system of the body like the formation of gas in the alimentary canal. This in turn helps in the reduction of abdominal distension leading to pain relief.
- Shatavari churna or powder of asparagus has been traditionally used in the treatment of several medical conditions like arthritis, chronic diarrhea, skin diseases like edema, both chronic and common fevers.
- Shatavari Churna is proven to be highly effective or potent in the treatment of serious medical conditions like diabetes, cough, and abdominal ulcers when consumed for a long time.
- Shatavari Churna is also said to be beneficial in the treatment of heart diseases. It helps to relax the cardiac system and slows it down. This is especially necessary for the treatment of patients who are already suffering from heart conditions like arrhythmias or palpitations.
- Cholesterol levels in the blood and risks of lipid accumulation are also reduced by regular consumption of Shatavari Churna. This in turn prevents the chances of incurring heart attacks.
- Shatavari extracts are rich in natural dietary fibers and other essential nutrients. Therefore, regular consumption of Shatavari Churna can help in preventing obesity significantly by reducing overeating.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF SHATAVARI CHURNA?
Consuming Shatavari Churna regularly has no specific side effects. But this is the case only when it is taken in prescribed amounts. Some people already suffer from medical ailments which might get aggravated by the use of Shatavari Churna. Some of the potential side effects of Shatavari Churna are:
- More often than not, Shatavari Churna has a strong diuretic effect. Therefore an individual must not use Shatavari if they are already consuming any herb or medicine that are endowed with diuretic properties. Diuretics are also known as water pills and are used to release higher levels of sodium into the urine.
- Shatavari is very helpful in lowering blood sugar. But people suffering from low blood sugar or diabetes insipidus must avoid consuming this herb. Shatavari Churna should also be avoided if the person consumes any other drug or herb with similar properties.
- In case, an individual has an allergic reaction to Asparagus or any of the chemicals contained in it, then they should avoid consuming Shatavari Churna. Consumption of Shatavari Churna might induce various allergic reactions including rashes, itching of the eyes and skin, tachycardia, red eyes, difficulty in breathing, dizziness among others.
SAFETY HAZARDS FOR CONSUMING SHATAVARI CHURNA
There is a lack of significant research and evidence concerning the uses, benefits, and side effects of consuming Shatavari Churna. Therefore, to be on the safer side, pregnant and lactating women are advised not to consume it. Those who do consume it should do it as per the doctor’s prescription.
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE OF SHATAVARI CHURNA
The recommended dosage of Shatavari Churna may vary from person to person depending upon the individual’s age, physical strength, the effects of the herb on the individual’s appetite, the severity of other medical ailments, and overall physiological condition of the patient. Self-medication is strictly prohibited and consulting a professional medical practitioner is firmly recommended as they prescribe the medicinal herb and the dosage only after taking the past medical conditions and present severity of the individual into due consideration.
One-fourth or half a teaspoon of Shatavari Churna or Shatavari Powder can be consumed up to twice a day after dissolving it in beverages like milk, juice of fresh fruits, or just plain warm water.
Shatavari Churna is also great for topical application to treat skin conditions like blemishes or hyperpigmentation. For that, the individual should take half or one teaspoon of Shatavari powder and mix it thoroughly with honey. A paste will be formed which is to be applied to the face and the neck. Let the Shatavari paste sit on the face for about five or 10 minutes and then wash it off with fresh water. This face pack can be used two or three times a day for clear and youthful skin.
PRICE OF SHATAVARI CHURNA
The Shatavari price in the case of churna or powder can be as low as 150/- INR and can be as high as 600/- INR. The prices can be even higher depending upon the species of asparagus used, its quality, purity, and much more. The prices usually vary from brand to brand and also are subject to change based upon the retailer or chemist who is selling it.
Ayurvedic medicines like Shatavari churna are available at significantly lower prices on online pharmaceutical websites like 1mg, Netmeds or Apollo 24×7.
Shatavari is also available in the form of tablets, capsules, syrups, and tonics.
Shatavari is a very potent and multipurpose ayurvedic medicine that can be used to treat multiple medical ailments ranging from head to toe of individuals. The various constituent chemicals of Shatavari have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, carminative, estrogenic, galactagogue properties are responsible for making it known as the Queen of all medicinal herbs. It is especially beneficial in improving the physical strength in the body of an individual. Shatavari Churna energizes the body and increases its vitality while rejuvenating it. This in turn is proven to have aided in altering the physiological makeup of the body by stimulating the growth hormones. Therefore, the consumption of Shatavari Churna is beneficial in height growth.